The performance appraisal is a vital element within the full cycle of performance management. When conducted effectively, it can make an invaluable contribution to the development of the individual and to the team.
This short course will focus on the importance of the appraisal interview to the successful development of your staff. There may be opportunities for role play during the session.
This course will enable the delegates to develop their interview skills, focusing on the specific requirements of an appraisal meeting.
The emphasis will be on enhancing the positive, constructive aspects of the work, while encouraging suggestions for improvement in the future.
- examining constructive feedback techniques and identifying ways of ensuring a positive outcome to the meeting
- effective listening and questioning skills
- how to identify and agree SMART objectives for the future
- how to deliver both “good” and “bad” news effectively and positively
- encouraging the interviewee to open up and take responsibility for making suggestions to improve performance
- avoiding personal criticism and focusing on performance facts.
- be able to plan and prepare the performance appraisal, ensuring that there are no unexpected surprises for either party
- identify effective and positive interview techniques and be able to apply them in the workplace
- understand how to build rapport with the interviewee and ensure that the meeting has a positive effect on development
- feel more confident in approaching feedback and appraisal situations
- be familiar with the paperwork used by your firm in their appraisal interviews.